Monday, December 18, 2006

Twenty-four-hour cable news is unpopular with many media-bashers, who point to all the stupid things the talking heads say trying to fill time. But cable news has become an integral part of our fast-paced lives. sometimes, we even have to stop everything we're doing and park ourselves in front of the TV on account of a riveting story.

This weekend, I could not tear myself away from Fox News' coverage of the rescue effort on Oregon's Mount Hood. It had nothing to do with the fact that two of the missing men were from Dallas. It was my insatiable desire to know the latest about everything, especially the big news events of the day. I'm the guy who can't pass through an airport without picking up the local newspaper. (My wife will never understand this obsession.) So the non-stop news sucks me in, even when anchor is repeating the same information for two hours. I want to be there when the new discovery is made, and that sometimes means cheerfully watching painfully repetitious coverage.

As irrational as this is, I have a feeling I'm not alone. Like it or not, it's human nature to want to be on the cutting-edge. That's what keeps the 24-hour news channels on the air.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I may not understand your news obsession, but I still think you're cute.