Friday, June 29, 2007

St. Louis has a winner in stadium







In the past two seasons, I've seen games at St. Louis' Busch Stadium, left, and Philadelphia's Citizens Bank Park. (None of my exterior shots of Citizens Bank Park turned out.) Each is a great place to watch a game, with plenty of open space to roam around. But as I walked around Busch, I could not find anything wrong with it. The concession prices are a but high, but that's true across professional sports. I've now seen games at 10 major-league parks. This includes Chicago's Wrigley Field and Baltimore's Camden Yards, the first park to mix nastalgia with modern conveniences.

Ballpark rankings are always subjective, influenced by a person's taste and emotional attachment to his team. I like elements of every park I've seen. But St Louis did it better than anyone else with the construction of the new Busch Stadium. But I would expect nothing less from city with such a rich baseball history. The Cardinals are so popular that I could get no better tickets than standing-room only.

No comments: