Monday, February 05, 2007

Disney in January

When I was last at Walt Disney World as a kid in 1982, there was no EPCOT, no MGM Studios, no Animal Kingdom. For tourists of the day, it was Magic Kingdom or bust. To be sure, the Disney world of a quarter-century ago had plenty to offer the whole family. But when my wife and I went with 16 other members of my family last month -- for my grandma's 90th birthday!-- I was blown away by how realistic this magical place appears. This is exactly the reason it is so difficult to pick a favorite park, ride or educational exhibit.
My love of traveling gave the World Showcase extra appeal. My thirst for thrill rides at amusement parks all but guaranteed Space Mountain and the Rockin' Roller Coaster would bring me particular satisfaction. My love of history left no doubt One Man's Dream, the museum dedicated to the park's architect and father of the Disney empire, Walt Disney, would hold a special place in my heart. (The four Disney parks provide many more attractions than those I've named.)

I did have my favorite attractions, but the best part of my vacation was that we were able to experience all we wanted, being there in late January. Had a party of 18 shown up at Mickey's doorstep just days before, the story would have been much different. But as we walked through the various parks, winding our way to the various must-see attractions, the long lines just weren't there to scare us away. In fact, at MGM, we were given passes that provided quick access to all the best attractions, and we used just two. We experienced he others the conventional way.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

It was a fabulous trip! I enjoyed reading your thoughts about it. I love you!